Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Update on the Renoir


I am really enjoying working on this painting.  Truth be told, I never used to be a fan of Renoir.  I used to only like paintings that had some deep meaning to them.  However, now that I'm older and realize how hard life can be, I can appreciate a painting that bring happiness, and what could be more cheerful than a group of friends enjoying a beautiful day and a delicious meal together? 


My M.O. so far has been to add in all the people one by one. They are still only underpainting and far from perfect, but it is much easier to correct what is already there than to make the first mark.  I am just trying to get the basic shapes and colors in and will go back and correct each person once I've painted over the entire canvas.  An artist should work on the entire painting at once, not letting any one part become much more developed than the rest.  That way, the whole painting grows together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment